Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Local Food




I have had some recent requests for me to resume blogging. I am pretty receptive to flattery so here I am writing again. I have to say part of the reason I haven't been writing is that technology got the best of me after all. I got a new camera for Christmas which I still haven't adapted to, The Flip is great except it takes hours each time I want to edit a movie, and worst of all we had to get a new computer which runs Vista! Okay, I can only handle so much new technology stress before I go running for my book....well...my book which is of course on my Kindle!

We had a good weekend, good company, great food, and fabulous weather. Saturday, Karl and I drove to Rochester to visit with my brother and his wife who were visiting Mom and Dad. We all went out to dinner at our latest favorite restaurant, Lentos. And we all had a meal that couldn't be beat. I had the lamb and I indulged in the rhubarb tart for dessert. I wasn't able to resist the wonderful spring rhubarb. The restaurant is all about using "in season" ingredients from local farms. They use local produce, local organic meats and local cheeses. I believe the menu even tells you the miles your ingredients have traveled on the back. I am heartily in favor of this but I admit we live in a pretty easy area to eat local as we are surrounded by farms, vineyards and orchards.

Keeping up with the eating local theme I drug Karl and Inga out to the Ithaca farmers market Sunday morning. Inga and I shopped while Karl talked shop with a graduate student he ran into as soon as we arrived. We bought fresh picked asparagus, spinach, kale, and some potatoes. Purple and pink potatoes! But the big hit of the trip was lunch. Inga was able to find red bean paste buns and cookies. She developed a real love for red bean paste in Japan so this find made her eyes twinkle. Even better than the red bean paste, at the Vegan,Gluten-free, Raw food stand we came across ice cream that Inga, who is lactose intolerant, could actually eat with pleasure. It was even creamy she proclaimed! When your child is in heaven life is after all very good.

5 comments:

Oma/Marion said...

Glad to see your back Cindy. And as usual a very interesting, thought provoking blog. I wish more places would put out recycle AND compost bins. The county has finally put recycle bins on the beach next to the trash bins and yesterday when Jenna and I walked a mile of beach cleaning it up I looked into every recycle bin we passed and people are actually using them, and for cans and bottles, not trash.

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you are back too. Love the purple hair. Inga looks so much like you! Talk to you soon.

Ken said...

Very glad to see your blog again. You always seems to find interesting ways to describe our life.

Unknown said...

Purple hair, yes! Red bean paste: double ick! So sticky-pasty-not sweet enough. An acquired taste, I suppose. I once a saw a Japanese friend eat it as a shave ice topping.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging. We have missed hearing about your life.
I didn't know that Inga was LI... We are all LI too... Run in the family? Think they could ship some yummy ice cream to the UK?
Glad to hear all is well on the home front. The pics of Inga are great. She has grown to be a beautiful young lady.
Much Love,
Heidi